Seamus J. King is a native of Ballymacegan, Lorrha, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary, and currently lives at Cashel, Co. Tipperary.
After primary school at Redwood N.S. in the parish of Lorrha, he spent five years in secondary school at St. Flannan’s College, Ennis, Co. Clare between 1951 and 1956. He played hurling with the college, particularly in Dean Ryan and Harty Cup competitions.
While still at primary school he started playing with his club, Lorrha & Dorrha, and played juvenile, minor and senior. The high point of his career with the club was a North Tipperary Division senior hurling championship in 1956. Lorrha were beaten by Thurles Sarsfields in the county final the same year.
He continued to play hurling while a student at U.C.C. (B.A. 1960) and U.C.D. (H.D.E. 1961) and emigrated in 1961. He lived for a year in London, a year in Germany and two years in the U.S., where he completed an M.A. in Political Science at Western Reserve University, Cleveland. He returned to Ireland in 1965 and commenced teaching at Rockwell College, Cashel, Co. Tipperary.
Living at Cashel he joined Cashel King Cormac’s and eventually became a member of the senior committee. He was P.R.O. for a number of years before becoming club chairman in 1985. He remained in the position until 1992, the high point of his term of office was when Cashel King Cormac’s won their first ever county senior hurling title, and went on to win a Munster Club championship. He is still a member of the senior committee and was elected president of the club in 1999, a position he still holds.
He has represented the club on the West Tipperary Division board for many years and spent three years as chairman of the board, 1996-1998. He has also served the club on the county board over many years.
He was selected on the Tipperary Yearbook Committee in 1983 and has been a member since then. He succeeded Michael McCarthy as chairman of the committee in 1992. He was also on the county committee that took possession of the Sam Melbourne Collection of G.A.A. artefacts, after it was purchased by the county board. A home for it was found at Lár na Páirce, an interpretive centre for gaelic games, on Slievenamon Road, Thurles, Co. Tipperary. It was officially opened by President of Ireland, Mary Robinson, in November 1994. He is currently chairman of Lár na Páirce committee.
Seamus J. King commenced writing on G.A.A. matters in the seventies and has produced an impressive body of work in the meantime. His writing was recognised by the G.A.A. when he received a McNamee Award for his Bord na nÓg history in 1993.
Lothra agus Doire: Iomáint agus Peil 1884-1984 (1984)
G.A.A. History of Cashel and Rosegreen 1884-1984 (1985)
Tipperary’s G.A.A. Story 1935-1984 (1988)
Tipperary’s Bord na nÓg Story (1991)
A History of Hurling (1996)
The Clash of the Ash in Foreign Fields: Hurling Abroad (1998)
Centenary History of the North Board of the G.A.A. (2001)
Tipperary’s G.A.A. Story 1985-2004 (2005)
A History of Hurling (Second Edition) (2005)
Cashel King Cormac’s G.A.A. History 1985-2005 (2006)
Classic Munster Hurling Finals 1950-2005 (2007)
A Lorrha Miscellany (2012)
Cashel Rugby Football Club 1919-2012 (2013)
The Little Book of Hurling (2014)
Golden-Kilfeacle: the Parish and its People (1997), with Willie Ryan
Complete Handbook of Gaelic Games: Millennium Edition, ed. by R. Smith (1999) - much of the research by M. Dunne, T. Ryall, J. Cronin, J. Clarke, S. J. King, J. Mahon.
Tipperary’s G.A.A. Ballads (2000), with L. O Donnchú & J. Smyth
Munster G.A.A. Story, Vol. II 1985-2001 (2001), with Jim Cronin & Patrick C. Walsh
The History of Camogie in Tipperary 1904-2003 (2003), with Martin Bourke